Who is this Workshop For?
Managers, department heads, product managers, product owners and project managers that need to breakdown Epics into Tasks, whilst also unsure or unaware of which approach to take and why. The group may also be struggling with complex technical epics such as migration of data or have to represent classical non-functional requirements such as system performance.
The attendees are aware of Epics, Features, Stories and Tasks and are aware of the construct as well as the DEEP and IMPACT-ful stories.
Why Organise this Workshop?
If, today, you see, feel or experience:
- “Simple” stories taking too long to get done
- Non-functional requirements specified as standalone Stories e.g. “System Performance”
- Epics exists such as “UX/UI” and “Migration”
- Uncertainty regarding the granularity of Epics, Features and Stories.
Then this workshop may be for you.
Teams often learn one technique for eliciting tasks from Epics. But when that does not work, they become stuck, or in fact persevere, even when the issue is picked up in retrospectives “that the Stories were not good enough”.
Worse that technique may not match the product’s business case and thus conflict in the way the tasks are elicited and prioritised.
In addition, Agility prescribes the delay of decisions until the last possible moment, and this guideline is often regarded in an extreme way. I.e. No upfront analysis.
Yet the more work we put into breaking-down epics, features and stories into tasks, in advance, the better the results will be.
Clearly it is contradictory in nature.
Not only that, there are plenty of common pitfalls along the way, especially when dealing with non-functional requirements and legal / regulatory requirements, let alone “large” technical Epics such as data migration.
Money back guarantee
Our workshops are here to help you resolve current issues so you can progress in what you do. We believe that we deliver the best we can to you based on our experiences and your organisation’s needs and try to make sure of that when talking to you upfront.
Should you however, not be happy with the result of the workshop, you can ask to get your money back (within 30 days after the workshop). And you will – guaranteed.
This workshop will help the attendees to understand the different approaches to breaking down the Epics into tasks, by first examining the business model of the business and then choosing the most appropriate approach to slicing-and-dicing the work to be done.
The attendees will also get to understand the economic impact of smaller tasks and impact on efficiency and motivation.
We will then explore some of the common pitfalls experienced by teams and how to avoid them. Classic examples are usability and system performance.
Topics for the Team may include some of the following, non-exclusive list:
- Understanding the economic impact of smaller tasks
- The transportation of “purpose” to every member of the team
- Elimination of “Gold-Plating”
- More up-front work is needed – regardless of the Agile purist say.
- Combining MoSCoW prioritisation with non-functional and large technical requirements
- Dealing with legal / regulatory requirements
- How to split large technical tasks such as “Migration of Data” or “Search”
Most Important Information at a Glance
- 45 min investigation call
- 3 hour onsite workshops
- 1 hour for set-up and clean-up
- Photo-protocol plus PDF copies of workshop material
- 30 min follow-up call, 2-3 week after the workshop
- English (German on request)
- CHF 3500 excl VAT (plus reasonable expenses if traveling).
- 8-12 people
Interested? Then get in touch now.