Who is this Workshop For?
Managers, department heads, product managers, product owners and project managers that need to deal with an annual budgeting cycle,
It is also great for departments trying to identify skill gaps or skill over-capacity.
As an indicator, your yearly budget size should be between 2m yet less than 50m, this is however just a guide.
The Portfolio and wish-list for the next few years, a so-called “Book of Work”, is more-or-less known. The “Book of Work” contains all the known ideas, projects, continuous development needs, maintenance, keep-the-lights-on activities plus decommissioning that the group wishes to evaluate for the next year. The “Book of Work” does not need to be harmonised in one place, in fact they are usually spread across multiple systems.
Why Organise this Workshop?
If, today, you see, feel or experience:
- Product Managers / Owners fighting for their work to be prioritised
- Different lists, maintained by different people
- Lack of common understanding of the individual commitments and budget constraints
- Lack of alignment of activities behind the goals of the coming year
- Struggle to get clarity and plans in place and to fulfill stakeholder’s needs in terms of planning and budgeting
- A history of late or incomplete delivery of budgeting numbers
Then, this workshop may be for you.
There is often an apparent conflict between the real-world corporate view of budgets and the Agile world of continuous development and “build the most valuable things next” mindset, that does not believe in looking too far ahead, because it is waste.
Somehow though, the two worlds need to come together to fulfill the stakeholder’s needs outside of the Agile team.
Money back guarantee
Our workshops are here to help you resolve current issues so you can progress in what you do. We believe that we deliver the best we can to you based on our experiences and your organisation’s needs and try to make sure of that when talking to you upfront.
Should you however, not be happy with the result of the workshop, you can ask to get your money back (within 30 days after the workshop). And you will – guaranteed.
The workshop contains of two three hour sessions.
Based on what is discovered during the 60 minute investigation call, together we will produce an overview of the Portfolio over the dimensions: urgency (time), customer value, size and legal / regulatory need.
First workshop: In every case we will allow the team to discuss the merits of each and place the work on the time scale, giving a top-down view of the work. This high-level view is the goal of the first workshop.
Second workshop: The second workshop looks to challenge the year’s plan. To understand the common themes and to identify the teams that will work on the portfolio.
Once this is known, the budget will become clearer.
Topics for the Team may include some of the following, non-exclusive list:
- Understanding MoSCoW prioritisation
- Visualising the work to be considered
- Understanding the purpose of the following year’s work
- Challenging the proposed work with great questions
- The group needs to avoid status and ego to deliver a budget – but how and why?
- How to build the teams that will deliver
- How to share knowledge of key know-how carriers, essential for building cross-functional teams
Topics of interest to the individuals may include
- The power of letting “go” of their own projects and learning to take an objective, non-personal view
Most Important Information at a Glance
- 60 min investigation call
- 2×3 hour onsite workshops (understand the portfolio and identify the teams), one week apart.
- 2×1 hour for set-up and cleanup
- 2x Photo-protocols plus PDF copies of workshop material
- 30 min follow-up call, 2-3 week after the 2nd workshop
- English (German on request)
- CHF 5500 excl VAT (plus reasonable expenses if traveling).
- Max 12 people
Interested? Then get in touch now.